Wednesday 10 August 2011

Back in La Llajta






My heart fluttered and a huge smile spread across my face as the pilot announced our descent into Cochabamba. The view was spectacular as we flew over the Andes into the valley, I could see the Cristo with His arms spread open, welcoming me home once more. There is an incredible sense of familiarity here, and no matter how long I have been away, it always feels as though I have never left. As I wandered around in the airport I found it hard to believe that previous morning I had woken up in North Carolina, where I had spent a wonderful 2 months visiting amazing friends, re-establishing old friendships and making new ones. I’ll save writing about that trip for another blog!


As we drove from the airport through the dusty streets back to our apartment familiar sights and smells filled my senses. There were children washing windows at the intersections, 4 or 5 people on one motorbike, the mountains with their dusting of snow, the only difference was that more apartment buildings have gone up. I sat in the taxi with Kimber, the warm breeze flowing through the open window, blowing away the memories of the boredom and aches endured in the 30 hours of traveling from the States.

I got home, hiked the stairs to our top floor apartment and realised that my heart was pounding out off my chest. I had forgotten the how much the altitude affected me, but it was worth it. The view from my apartment was every bit as incredible as I remembered it, sweeping vistas of the entire city of Cochabamba and a panoramic view of the mountain range, the ridges emphasised by the shadowing from the setting sun. Despite my lack of sleep induced dazed state, I was elated to be back. I unpacked, and re-packed, ready for my early departure to Mizque the following morning.

We headed over to the Corazon del Pastor soon after the sun rose, and I was welcomed with shouts of ‘TIA BARBARA’ ringing out from all the girls that I hadn’t seen in so long. It was so wonderful to see them again! There was also an amazing team from Canada there, including Jeanette, a wonderful volunteer at Ninos con Valor that we worked with before. After a couple of hours of packing and re-packing the bus, the team and volunteers began the 4 and a half hour trip to Mizque. The scenery was spectacular; it feels as though you are driving through a topographical map. There were various points in the journey when I was terrified. The bus teetered on the edge of many a sheer drop into deep ravines. Looking out of the bus window there was about 6 inches from the wheel to the edge, and it petrified me, yet the photographer in me wanted to push through the fear and lean out and take pictures! I ignored my rising heart beat and speeding breath and was able to take some fabulous snaps. I was very thankful when we finally arrived at our destination. Lack of sleep was catching up with me, so I was grateful for the free afternoon to take a rest. That evening was spent having so much fun with the team playing a Bolivian dice game that I can only compare to Yatzee, after doing so, I was very excited to fall into bed.

I was awoken by a cacophony of bells at dawn; there was neither rhyme nor reason to the beat, just someone randomly striking the different notes. After breakfast we headed over to get everything organised for the trip to Pantipampa and it was then was we saw our mode of transport - in all its dusty glory stood a large dump truck. We loaded it up with blankets and ourselves, 14 volunteers, ready for the imminent adventure. The view from the truck was astounding, the drops even more terrifying, needless to say I was thankful when I saw Pantipampa come into view. The day was spent painting the newly refurbished classrooms with items purchased by Orkney Helping Hands, playing with the children, eating delicious charque (much like jerky) and being chased around by men with buckets of chicha, which is a local fermented corn drink. Being so far away from the reality that is the western world was very much refreshing. It forces you think about what you have, and what is important in your life. The people of Pantipampa are some of the most welcoming, humble people I have encountered in all my travels, and I look forward to returning to visit them again, soon.


The ride back from the village was even more of an undertaking, with the truck being filled to overflowing with not only the 14 volunteers, but half of the village returning to their homes. It was amazing to see how far these people (most with young children) had walked to join in the Pantipampa celebrations. As dusk began to fall, the stars began to appear, and by the time we were approaching Mizque the black sky was covered in a blanket of stars. I was especially excited to see the Southern Cross for the first time, despite having lived in the Southern Hemisphere for more than 5 years!


The following morning was spent doing a solar oven presentation in Mizque. Nine solar ovens were gifted to Daycares within the municipality, and it was wonderful to see the interest in how they worked. People continually passed by to ask questions, and to see how well things had been cooked. The response was very encouraging. After everything had been cleared up, we began the journey home to Cochabamba back along the winding, switch-back filled road. It was delightful to arrive home once again, to be in my own bed and to get some much needed rest after a very eventful few days!

I am so thankful to be able to be back here in Bolivia again. Cochabamba and its people always have, and always will have a very special place in my heart.

Here are a few pictures of my trip so far.








Beautiful smiles :)














Gorgeous children in Pantipampa















Mother and child


















Girls having fun with a parachute! I love these smiles!









Mizque town centre

No comments:

Post a Comment